Propose New and Original Research
Proposing New and Original Idea for research is always a tough ask. Most of the Scholars who are new in Business and Social Sciences Research do not know how to identify the gaps and limitations in existing research and furthermore how to utilize the gaps and limitations in existing research to formulate a research title that is original and adds value to the existing research.
Keeping in view the need of the early career researchers to be able to utilize the gaps and limitations of existing research and propose an original research that significantly contributes to the body of knowledge, i have designed several video tutorials that provide a detailed step by step guidance on how to use existing research for proposing original research.
Steps to Propose New and Original Research
In order to propose a research framework that contributes to the existing research, the scholars may follow the following basic steps.
- After identification of the topic for the study, Search peer reviewed databases (like Emerald, Sage, Wiley, Springer, Science Direct, Taylor and Francis) for latest research (preferably 1 Year Old) on the topic.
- Review the Proposed Limitations and Future Research Directions
- Identify any new constructs/variables proposed that may be added to the model. It is worth noting that new and original contribution stems from add new constructs to the model, new study setting is replication and not contribution. For more detail, Click Here to understand what constitutes theoretical contribution.
- Do not just blindly add the variables, also search if the relationships make sense in the context of your study and can you explain the proposed relationship.
- Another important point is not to take variables from one single study, another scholar may have also read the same paper and may propose a similar study, this will waste a lot of your time.
- Finally, discuss your model with your supervisor or subject expert.